WHERE DREAMS DESCEND | Review



LET ME JUST SAY, WOW.

In case you didn't know, Where Dreams Descend by Janella Angeles is about Kallia, the showgirl, Jack, the master, and DeMarco, the magician. Kallia works in the Hellfire House for Jack as a showgirl who uses magic in her performances. She has been in the Hellfire House her whole life, until one day she decides to be a known magician and ventures into the nearby city of Glorian to audition for the Spectaculore Circus where she crosses paths with DeMarco, who is one of the judges for the auditions. The city of Glorian is known to be full of mysteries and as Kallia and DeMarco venture into the city, magicians mysteriously disappearWhat will happen to Kallia and DeMarco, and will Jack pull his missing showgirl back into the Hellfire House? 

Thanks to the Owlcrate June box, I was able to receive an early copy of Where Dreams Descend with an exclusive hardback cover! If it weren't for Owlcrate, I would've not known about this book until it came out, and I definitely did not know what I was getting into until I started reading it. I finished it a few days ago and I honestly can't stop thinking about this book! 

Personally, I have never read a book where magic is used for showbusiness and performative arts. The way magic is used in the world of Where Dreams Descend is absolutely refreshing and glamorous. The setting reminds me of the Hollywood 60s when women were seen as mere sex symbols but Kallia defies that as she strives to be a female magician, known to break barriers. On top of women breaking barriers and a world where magic is used for performances, there's even mystery sewn into the plot which makes it even more captivating. The mystery aspect of the plot truly keeps you on the edge of your seat, making you want to read this in one sitting. 

The writing and plot have kept me intrigued from beginning to end, with such interesting characters. The way Janella Angeles writes about how these characters use magic is so vivid and pulls me into the world itself. It felt like I was there watching everything unfold. Along with the consistent beauty of Janella Angeles's writing, the development of both the plot and character was seamless to the build-up. The pacing was just right, giving time for every aspect of the story to develop beautifully. 

Now the characters, whew. Kallia is amazing, wonderful, showstopping, just ASTRONOMICALLY CHARMING. Listen when I tell you, Kallia is one of those somewhat arrogant characters that honestly DESERVES the hype. She lives up to every word she says and I applaud Janella Angeles for writing such a compelling and beautiful character. I absolutely loved reading from her perspectives and the way she captivates her audience, just as shes captivated me. DeMarco and Jack to me were very mysterious characters. We don't get much from Jack but he leaves quite an impact (especially that ending ohp). With DeMarco, we are left trying to piece his life together and how it led to his state of mind. He was mysterious in a way that we don't get much background on him compared to how we are immediately introduced to Jack and Kallia. DeMarco truly gave that tall, dark, and handsome vibes which I am here for but his story was just as intriguing as Kallia's by the end of the book. 

I will admit, I was left wanting more, and I cannot wait for a second book! Where Dreams Descend was definitely worth the read and will cause a lot of heartbreak no doubt. If you enjoy the magic and great performance with a twist of mystery and budding romance, GO PICK UP WHERE DREAMS DESCEND! :') 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THE IMPORTANCE OF PATRON SAINTS OF NOTHING | book review 002

welcome to my blog!